North Star Sheep Farm
Maine Pasture-Raised Loin Lamb Chops
4 Chops Per Package - Avg. 1.4 lbs. (2 servings.)
These mini T-bones offer the best of both worlds — part of the strip, part of the tender. Loin chops come from the loin section, just behind the ribs. Marinated or seasoned simply, these petite cuts cook quickly on the grill or in a hot pan.
We are excited to be partnering with North Star Sheep Farm in Windham, Maine. Lisa and Phil Webster have been raising sheep for 34 years. They have a well-earned reputation for exceptional lamb.
"The lamb chops were out of this world--meaty and tender and full of flavor." - Patricia Peard, Cumberland Foreside, Maine
- 4 chops per package - Avg. weight 1.25 lbs (2 servings)
- Pasture raised at North Star Sheep Farm in Windham, Maine
- Grass fed - supplemented with whole oats and barley
- All Natural - No Antibiotics - No Hormones
- USDA inspected
- Hand cut and trimmed
- Flash Frozen and Wrapped In Air-Tight Cryovac - Will Last 12 Months In Your Freezer
Phil and Lisa Webster have been raising sheep in Maine since 1984. Both sides of their families have a long history of sheep farming in Maine - going back to before 1900.
The North Star name is recognized nationally for the outstanding quality and flavor of its lamb. Top restaurants throughout Maine and New England serve lamb from North Star. The Websters are leaders in promoting sustainable, humane, diversified agriculture in Maine and beyond.
(Learn more about North Star in this video.)
Cooking tips from Phil Webster of North Star Sheep Farm:
How do you know when lamb is done?
- Don’t guess and don’t cut into the meat to check doneness — use a good meat thermometer.
- Remove lamb from cooking heat when the thermometer reads 5-10° less than desired temperature.
- Let lamb rest before serving to allow juices to settle: 5 minutes for thin cuts, 20 minutes before carving roasts.
- To ensure lamb remains safe throughout cooking, the USDA recommends cooking ground lamb to a safe minimum internal temperature of 160F as measured on a food thermometer. Other cuts, including roasts and chops, should be cooked to at least 145F (medium-rare).
Here are a few of Phil Webster's lamb recipes.
What is the difference between lamb rib chops and lamb loin chops?
Loin chops are slightly leaner than rib chops and lack the rib bone. The eye of a loin chop is a bit larger than a rib chop and usually includes a medallion of tenderloin (like a tiny T-bone steak). Loin chops are excellent grilled, broiled and sautéed, and are also best enjoyed cooked rare to medium-rare.
Are lamb loin chops healthy?
Not only is it a rich source of high-quality protein, but it is also an outstanding source of many vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc, and vitamin B12. Because of this, regular consumption of lamb may promote muscle growth, maintenance, and performance. In addition, it helps prevent anemia.
When I first met Lisa and Phil Webster, the owners of North Star Sheep Farm, I realized almost instantly - they knew sheep. Raising sheep and selling lamb was not some hobby of theirs. They know sheep like Bill Belichick knows football. They've been raising sheep for 35 years and producing lamb that's been widely acclaimed as "the best."
They've earned their reputation. Top chefs at top restaurants throughout New England offer North Star Sheep Farm lamb on their menus. For years, North Star Sheep Farm lamb was exclusively sold at Whole Foods throughout the region.
For me, the ultimate test was taking home a couple of their Loin Lamb Chops for a personal test.
Well, it was they were the best lamb chops I've ever had. A wonderful, fresh flavor that was unique and delicious.
I am happy to be able to share another wonderful Maine-farm-raised meat with our customers.
Free shipping on orders $99 and above. $14.95 under $99.
We ship to 34 states - AL, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MA, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, WV, WI.
Your order is shipped to you in eco-friendly insulated packaging (not styrofoam!). We use ice blankets and dry ice to insure your meat arrives in perfect condition.
Additional details about shipping and delivery HERE.