100% Grass-fed and Grass-finished from Heartstone Farm
Steaks average 14-18 oz.
Skirt steak is prized for its rich, beefy flavor and tender texture, making it a popular choice for grilling and roasting. Compared to other cuts of beef, skirt steak has a relatively low fat content.
Our grassfed skirt steak is also lower in unhealthy fats, such as saturated fat and trans fat, and higher in healthy fats, like omega-3 fatty acids. It's also a rich source of essential nutrients, such as vitamins B12, B6, and iron, as well as conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects.
Each steak is hand-cut and trimmed to ensure the highest quality and consistency. All Heartstone Farm beef is free from hormones, antibiotics, and other harmful chemicals, so you can feel good about the meat you are serving your family.
Skirt Steak is a long, flat cut. It cooks quickly, and is often sliced up and served in fajitas.
Discover the #1 tip for a tender Skirt Steak in this video on cutting against the grain
Here's a recipe we tried for Skirt Steak With An Onion Marinade (definitely recommend).
- Steaks avg. 14-18 oz.
- 100% Grass Fed and Grass Finished on our farm in Maine
- All Natural - No Antibiotics - No Hormones
- 14-Day Dry Aged
- USDA inspected
- Hand cut and trimmed
- Flash Frozen and Wrapped In Air-Tight Cryovac - Will Last 12 Months In Your Freezer
- Free shipping on orders over $129
FARMER DAN NOTES AND RECIPE
For the best results when cooking skirt steak, I recommend using high heat and cooking it quickly, either on a grill or in a hot skillet. Here is a simple recipe that you can try:
Grilled Skirt Steak
- 1 pound grassfed skirt steak
- Salt and pepper, to taste (I recommend Farmer Dan Steak Salt)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or a heavy skillet over high heat until very hot.
- Brush the steak with a light coating of olive oil.
- Place the steak on the grill or in the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 135°F.
- Remove the steak from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.
- Important - Slice the steak against the grain and serve immediately.
This recipe is simple and straightforward, but it allows the rich flavor of your Heartstone Farm Skirt Steak to shine through. Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy a delicious and healthy meal!
What is skirt steak?
Our 100% grassfed skirt steak is a cut of beef that comes from the diaphragm muscle of the cow. Unlike conventional beef, which is often raised on a diet of grains and soy, grassfed cattle are raised on a diet of 100% grass, leading to a healthier and more flavorful product.
How should I cook Heartstone Farm grassfed skirt steak?
Grassfed skirt steak is best cooked over high heat, either on a grill or in a hot skillet. It's important to not overcook it, as it can become tough if cooked for too long. For medium-rare, cook for 4-5 minutes per side until it reaches an internal temperature of 135°F.
Is Heartstone Farm grassfed skirt steak more expensive than conventional beef?
Yes, grassfed beef is typically more expensive than conventional beef due to the differences in the way the cattle are raised and the resulting differences in the nutritional profile of the beef. However, many people believe that the health and flavor benefits are worth the extra cost.
- Be sure your steak is completely thawed.
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Remove your steak from the refrigerator 30-40 minutes before cooking.
- Resting steak is also important because the heat of cooking pulls the juices in the meat toward the surface; if you slice into it immediately after cooking, those flavorful juices will end up on your plate, not in your steak. Allowing your steak to rest will give the juices time to sink back in and throughout the meat, keeping it moist and flavorful.
- We recommend cooking your steak to no more than medium rare.
- Use a meat thermometer - and remove from heat at 125 degrees.
- Always slice against the grain
Our cattle are 100% grass fed and grass finished.
That means they do not receive any grain or corn - ever.
We do not use antibiotics or hormones - ever.
We maintain a stress-free enviroment for our cattle - we treat them humanely.
Our cattle have access to the outdoors 365 days a year.